Let's go back to January. I had my tonsils taken out and it was possibly the worst thing I have ever experienced. I had a good friend come over and take care of my house and the cooking and me (she is THE best!) She is one of the best cooks I have ever known, besides my momma of course. During this time, I had all intentions of watching her cook so I could learn from her, but I was on some good drugs and took advantage of sleeping as much as I could.
As you can imagine, my BF was the happiest man on earth with her food everyday. I mean, you would have thought he wanted to marry her (lol <--nervous laugh). He is always saying, why can't you cook more like (insert friends name) and I am like THEN GO LIVE WITH HER! Of course I don't mean it, but he is super serious about me learning to cook like her. With the distance between us friends, its nearly impossible for me to take a day out and learn how to cook. She cannot write recipes because she just wings it. I mean ALL OF THESE YEARS I have been following recipes and she wings it and nails it everytime? PFFFFFFT!
I finally got her on the phone and she told me what to buy, how to do it and she made me repeat back to her about 5 times, OCD ANYONE?!
I did it. I conquered a whole chicken. I served it to my BF and he says "Where did you buy this chicken OMG ITS SO GOOD". I am like :| I MADE IT YOU JERK! The look of surprise, happiness and satisfaction came over him. I am going to make this chicken everyday and I don't care who gets sick of it. I am tired of hearing complaints from my customers! I am also tired of serving them, anyone want to come waitress at my house for me?
Pollo Al Horno (Spanish Roasted Chicken):
^^I totally jacked this picture but I swear my chicken looked like this
- One whole chicken (I used a 4 pound chicken, if you get more pounds just increase the seasonings)
- Limes (1 is good mmkay)
- Olive oil (about 2 tablespoons)
- Rosemary (about 2 sticks)
- Thyme (2 sticks)
- Sage (about 4 leaves)
- About 4 cloves of fresh garlic
- Adobo - About 2 tablespoons
- A packet of sazon con achiote looks like this below
- You can find the adobo and sazon in the spanish section of your grocery store unless your store is racist (disclaimer: that was a joke)
- Take chicken out of the package or else this whole thing is gonna go to shit.
- I had my mom cut off the nasty parts, I am still learning, but take the guts out, cut the extra fat and icky parts of the chicken off.
- If you don't believe in this, close your eyes: Wash the chicken with water (in an empty sink I can't stress that enough, wear some gloves).
- Cut the lime in half and squeeze it over the chicken, rub that chicken with lime, c'mon RUB IT.
- Rinse the chicken again, rubbing don't stop.
- Put all of the seasonings along with the olive oil (DO NOT PUT ANY LIME, THATS A NO NO) in a small chopper/food processor and blend it all together to make a paste.
- Now, you are use to this by now, RUB THAT STUFF ALLLLLLL OVER THE CHICKEN. I mean really get aquainted with this chicken. Rub it inside and out and in everywhere possible on and in this chicken. Sprinkle some adobo inside of the chicken too.
- Once you have done the dirty, put the chicken in a ziplock or covered container. Let it sit for a while. I started at 2pm and didn't make dinner til 5pm. The chicken came out good. You could do it overnight or just within a couple of hours before dinner.
- Before putting it in the oven (I went against my friends directions a little) I peeled a whole onion and some garlic cloves and stuffed it inside the chicken, he liked it. You can also tie your chicken up but I didn't think the chicken would be into it :/
- Get a roaster pan or aluminum pan is fine, you can put some olive oil, just a tad at the bottom but its not needed.
- Put in the oven on 375 for about an hour and a half or until a food thermometer reads 165 degrees F.
- Serve it with an attitude because MEN SUCK! lol I KID I KID. Seriously, this chicken is amazing!